POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 31 Jan 2004 15:25:55
Message: <401c0f53$1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> In article <40170c7c$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
> > * Don't give me no guff about DirectX... I don't see SGI working it's
> > tail-off to make OpenGL better, but Microsoft is clamoring to do so
because
> > of their gaming franchise, and Microsoft seems to be turning a new leaf
> > lately... along with the rest of the industry. .NET is wonderful thing.
> I don't know where to start. Argh...
> *beats Daniel repeatedly over the head with a clue-bat...*
>
> Look into OpenGL 2.0. OpenGL is being actively developed, and the
> stability of its API is an advantage. And both DirectX and .NET are
> completely, utterly useless to anyone not on a recent version of Windows.

Okay, I'm admittedly at fault here because I used an antiquated phrase to
start that footnote and I can see where some people might not understand
what "Don't give me not guff" might mean. What that means is that,
undoubtedly, some people are going to feel very strongly about this
perception and I know why and it is just a matter of opinion. Kind of like
predicting the stock market -- lots of people have different opinions on
where it is going to go and the future will tell. I happen to think that
DirectX is the future, not OpenGL, based on two things: 1. Microsoft is
realizing that their gaming business very important and they tend to do well
on things they find important (think IDEs), and 2. I have been in SGI and I
have reason not to have confidence in that company based on personal,
anecdotal experience.

Also, my target audience is people with the latest version of Windows. I
have decided to go in a different direction than JPatch, which is why I'm
thrilled that JPatch exists. I'm looking to exploit a specific technology,
yet provide the source openly. It's like the fight between Linux Torvalds
and Andy Tanenbaum; they both have completely different opinons on how
someone should build an operating system, but they are both valid and based
on personal opinion. Linus just happened to build his into Linux. See page:
http://cscserver.cc.edu/jtowell/AAATeaching/csc317/Linus%20vs_%20Tanenbaum.htm

I'm not mad, I just have an opinion and I realize it will differ and that
people feel very strongly about it.